Staff Publications & Presentations
The Office of Institutional Research and Planning produces a variety of reports for state agencies, the state legislature, the Board of Regents, the President, the Provost, college deans, and other customers.
For enrollment projections, faculty workload, SAT Reports, retention and graduation rates, and other USM indicators, see the USM Institutional Research Annual Reports page.
National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) 2014
In the Spring of 2014, UMD participated in the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). First-year and senior undergraduates answered questions about their participation in programs and activities offered at UMD. The report contains data on engagement indicators and high-impact practices.
Closing the Achievement Gap Report 2014-2015
IRPA, in conjunction with the Office of Undergraduate Studies and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, produces an annual report measuring the differences in retention and graduation statistics between selected campus populations (Hispanic, African-American, and low-income students) and the overall undergraduate body. The report also addresses some of the more prominent campus activities designed to reduce gaps in retention and graduation rates.
Cultural Diversity Report - April 2016
Prepared by the Office of Diversity & Inclusion and the Office of Institutional Research, Planning & Assessment, this report evaluates the University's progress on the institutional plan to improve cultural diversity; efforts to increase the numerical representation and retention of traditionally underrepresented students, administrative staff, and faculty; efforts to create positive interactions and cultural awareness; and other central diversity initiatives.
Faculty Blended Learning Report - May 2013
The Office of Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment (IRPA) invited all full-time faculty (tenured/tenure-track and non-tenured/tenure-track) to participate in an on-line survey exploring their experiences with and opinions of blended learning. This report was presented to the Provost's Commission on Blended and Online Learning. [May 2013]
Heterogeneity, Race, and Critical Thinking - November 2005
This study examines the concept of "critical mass" and its use in the discussion of racial/ethnic heterogeneity as it may benefit critical thinking. This paper proposes an index by which diversity can be measured and examines the application of this index to the demographic composition of the University of Maryland's undergraduate population.
Faculty Equity Analysis in STEM - January 2006
This analysis examined workload for male and female faculty in the science, technology, engineering, and math. Specific topics that were measured and analyzed include: non-instructional activity, salaries, courses enrollments and students taught.
Plus Minus Grading - April 2006
This study sought to understand the impact of a new weighted plus/minus grading calculation on undergraduate graduation rates and course availability. Grades from the fall 2002 cohort of incoming undergraduate students were used to determine the change in probation and dismissal and the accompanying impact on graduation rates. Additionally, all undergraduate courses assigning the C- grade during the 2003-04 and 2004-05 Academic Years were examined to understand course availability should students have to repeat courses.
(Organized by year)
- BlueNotes Global 2022 - Updating a Course Feedback Survey - University of Maryland's Experience
- NEAIR Summer 2022 Workshop - Designing a Campus Standard for Your Tableau Dashboards
- UMD Disability Awareness Presentation 2022 - Data for All: Making Visualizations Accessible for Diverse Populations
- NEAIR 2022 - Can We Capture Complex Racial Identities with IPEDS?
- AWS Public Sector Summit 2018 - Using Tableau and AWS for Fearless Reporting at UMD
- Tableau Conference 2018 - Controlled Proliferation: UMD's Enterprise-wide Tableau Server Implementation
- BlueNotes Global 2018 - Things to Consider When Building Data Feeds
- NEAIR 2015 - Tips & Tricks to Ace PowerPoint! - from Engage Your Audience with PowerPoint and Visuals Pre-conference Workshop
- AAUDE 2015 - Doctoral Completions and Time-to-Degree - AAUDE Data Challenge Panel
- Video Presentation
- PDF Version
- MdAIR 2012 - Examining The First-Term Experiences of New Freshmen
- Advising Conference 2012 - Off to a Good Start? How New Freshmen Navigate Their First Semester at the University of Maryland
- Advising Conference 2012 - "Take it from me": Words of Wisdom from Recent Alumni Reflecting on Their Undergraduate Experience
- NEAIR 2011 - The Road Taken: Charting a Critical Path for IR in a Large Research Institution
- Kuali Days 2011 - Learning Outcomes Lightening Talk Kuali Student
- Kuali Days 2011 - UMCM: One Institution's Implementation Experience with Kuali Curriculum Management Kuali Student
- SAIR 2011 Faculty Activity Reporting at Two Research Universities - One Public, One Private
- NEAIR 2009 - Student's Perceptions Matter: Early Signs of Undergraduate Student Retention/Attrition Presentation for Student's Perceptions Matter and Paper for Student's Perceptions Matter
- NEAIR 2009 - Best Practices of Three IR Web Applications- Student Feedback on Course Experiencess, Faculty Activity Reports, and Instructional Workload
- NEAIR 2009 - Developing CourseEvalUM: Our Process, Challenges, and New Directions NEAIR 2009 Presentation
- 2009 PhD Mentoring Survey Report
- MdAIR 2009 - Objective and Subjective Measures of Diversity: How They Relate to One Another and Climate Perceptions Presentation for Diversity Perceptions Matter and Paper for Diversity Perceptions Matter
- MdAIR Spring Institute 2009 - Developing CourseEvalUM: Our Process, Challenges, and New Directions MdAIR 2009 Presentation
- NEAIR 2006 - The Pluses and Minuses of Policy Analysis: Predicting the Impact of a New Grading Policy Presentation for The Pluses and Minuses of Policy Analysis and Paper for The Pluses and Minuses of Policy Analysis
- MdAIR 2006 - Factor Analysis
- AIR 2006 - Web-based Collection of Instructional and Non-instructional Faculty Information
- AIR 2006 - Follow the Data: A Collaborative Approach to Planning for Academic Programs to Meet Workforce Demands
- NEAIR 2005 - Responding to Michigan: Measuring Racial Diversity and Critical Mass
- NEAIR 2005 - Web-based Collection of Instructional and Non-instructional Faculty
- SAIR NEAIR 2005 - Pigs, Snakes, and the Size of the Box: Enrollment Management Made Fun
- AIR 2005 - Data That Informs Policy: Understanding Student Progress Towards a Degree
- 2005 Heterogeneity, Race, and Critical Thinking
- MdAIR 2004 - Understanding the Undecided: Exploring the Myths and Realities of Students who Enroll in an Unspecified Letters and Sciences Major
- AIR 2004 - Echoes from the Boom: The Impact of Population Growth on Maryland Higher Education
- MdAIR Spring Institute 2004 - Newcomers to IR in Maryland Practical Tips for Navigating the Maryland IR Maze
- AIR 2001 - Multiple Race Reporting